A state in the northeastern part of Asia, located in the South of the Korean Peninsula. In the North the country borders with the Korean People-but-Demokraticheskoi Republic (length of 238 km border). In the West, South Korea is washed by the Yellow sea, on the East by the sea of Japan, in the South-East, the Korean Strait separates the country from Japan. The coastline is 2 413 km. the Total area of the country 98480 km2. The topography of the country is hills and mountains. Main mountain range – the Eastern Korean mountains, situated along the Eastern coast. The highest point in the country is mount Hala-San is on the island Jeju-do. The shores of the sea of Japan is mountainous straightforward. Coast of the Korean Strait and the Yellow sea mostly flat, with numerous bays and coves. Almost all valleys are located in this region. The main rivers are the Han and Naktongan. Major minerals: tungsten, iron, manganese, copper ore, gold, silver. Arable land covers 21% of the territory.
The population is 45 552 882 (1995), the average population density of about 463 persons per km 2. The ethnic composition homogeneous: almost all residents – Koreans, relatively small decreases in the proportion of the population are Chinese. The official language of Korean Buddhism is professed by 27% of population, Christianity – 24%, other religions – Confucianism, chondogyo. Continue reading
The armed forces of South Korea are in the highest degree of combat readiness in connection with the firing by the DPRK to the South Korean island Yeonpyeong in the area of the demilitarized zone, Reuters reported .
The origins of the current tensions on the Korean Peninsula were laid in 1945, when the end of the Second world war.
Until 1945 Korea was a colony of Japan, her General-governorship. The defeat of the red Army troops of the Kwantung army of Japan led to the release of North Korea in August 1945. By agreement between the allies on an Antihitlerite coalition in Korea were determined for 2 time zones to receive the surrender of the Japanese army: Soviet – North of 38th parallel and American – in the South.
In September 1945, in the South of the country has landed troops in the USA.
In 1947 the question of the establishment in Korea of a single state on the US initiative referred to the discussion of the UN, adopted the decision to hold elections monitored by the UN Commission.
In may 1948 in South Korea held parliamentary elections and on August 15, 1948 proclaimed the Republic of Korea.
In response Continue reading
– The minimum military recruitment age: 20 years
– Available military manpower: 12 483 677
– Total military personnel: 5 209 000 (on the front line — 687 000, backup power to 4 500 000, as well as paramilitary — 22 000)
Annual military expense: 28,940,000,000$ (2008)
– The available purchasing power: 206 1 000 000 000 $
– Gold reserves reported by: 271 100 000 000 $
– Total working power: 23 980 000
– legally South Korea is still belligerent country. In 1953 the Korean war ended not in peace but only a truce, a cease-fire. In Korea, no peace Treaty, there is a formal agreement that would stop the war, so with the international legal point of view the Korean war as yet over. And it’s not just some legal technicalities. The border between North and South troubled North Korean saboteurs regularly appear in the South and from the North infiltrated the terrorists, at least three times – in 1968, 1974 and 1982 – attempted to organize the assassination of South Korean presidents. “Small” the war of the intelligence and special forces at any moment could escalate into a major war, and military experts for several decades, the Korean Peninsula belongs to the most unstable regions of the planet. Therefore not surprising that in the life of the Republic of Korea army plays a significant Continue reading